Building B2G OS for Flame on transition (kanikani) branch

Good news flame users ! Now we can build the b2g from transition branch (kanikani).

Thanks to this tweak provided by @gsvelto :slightly_smiling:

from his words…

I’ve successfully flashed the transition branches on my
Flame last week; using the instructions provided on the Wiki should do
the trick, just make sure that you use the flame-kk target when running
the config.sh script and your Flame has been pre-flashed using the V5 base image available here: http://cds.w5v8t3u9.hwcdn.net/v18D_nightly_v5/v18D_nightly_v5.zip

4 Likes

@penserbjorne i’m looking at you :wink: Expecting a build from mexmod soon…

2 Likes

An update from @nhirata on dev-fxos:

2 Likes

I’ll try to compile, but Flame is my primary device so make some test is sometimes a problem because my data :frowning: , maybe we can try to make a tool/script to backup/restore or if you know some tool as TWRP or similar let me know, will help me a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Flame is my primary device too. I will try to find a back up solution :slight_smile:

Mozilla Discourse wrote:

penserbjornePaul Sebastian Aguilar Enriquez

April 15

I'll try to compile, but Flame is my primary device so make some test is sometimes a problem because my data :frowning: , maybe we can try to make a tool/script to backup/restore or if you know some tool as TWRP or similar let me know, will help me a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences

Regards, 

Sai Karthik Karra

There is a section in mdn to restore data when updating your Flame. The link: Updating your Flame
I remember that it doesn’t save all your data, so be becarefull. You should list what you want to keep and look what the script currently save.
But I hope it will help you.

1 Like

I used that tool for a long time, but actually doesnt work :confused: the last time my phone wasstucked rebooting :confused: So I dont use it anymore :confused:

BTW, thanks :slight_smile: If I fond something I’ll post here!

Stucked rebooting? Maybe it was just a bad build. We had a couple of very bad issues that would exactly produce this kind of behavior in the past week. It might be worth you retry and/or provide us with complete logcat from the whole boot.

Is transition branch supposed to be working with other devices as well (e.g. Xperia devices other than Z3C)?

not yet AFAIK Well, you can try building :slight_smile:

I’m not sure, that happened with my Flame, Hamachi, Keon and Inari :confused: so I thought that didn’t work, but I’ll try to use again, thanks!

The process seem to be “neutral” for my view point so I guess it can work for any actually supported device, so you can try to compile :slightly_smiling: maybe It works.

Yes, there is no reason this should not work. We just do not do it because of lack of time, but any device already supported can work.

1 Like

That’s great! I’m no dev but I should be able to make builds, so I can test it on my Xperia E3 (flamingo). I’ll let you know how it goes…

I remember there were options to compile B2G for eng- or usr-releases, but I found nothing about that on the B2G building wiki. Does anyone know something about that?

As I remember, NHirata said that for this first builds theres no VARIANT :confused: at least not yet :slightly_smiling:

No, he said there is only a VARIANT=eng build being done. But you can do VARIANT=userdebug builds yourself

1 Like

After one week full of fails trying to download/compile the repo, I finally got some success to flash my Flame :slight_smile:
Do you know if the wiki on mdn has already a B2G part to move the FirefoxOS Flame page and update it with the transition branch?
Also, maybe it could be nice to create a page of what is currently working just to know what people need to test. Personally, I watch the B2G metabug from time to time and look at all the bugs in it, but even with that I’m not sure about what I can really test.

1 Like

At some point the transition branch should be merged back into master, so it should only be a temporary measure.

What is currently working is changing every day (there will be a further update at today’s weekly meeting), but currently off the top of my head it’s basically:

• Lock screen is working
  • Status bar and utility tray work
  • Keyboard works
  • Can create new browser windows and browse the web
  • Can configure WiFi and set the date and time in Settings (accessed via the utility tray)

The meta bug is a good place to track progress and is the main source of truth, there’s also a tracker which tracks our high level progress through the backlog of work in two week sprints.

Nice to hear this news :slight_smile: