Why not discourse.mozillians.org

I’d not heard of the ‘mozilla-community.org’ domain until Discourse was introduced to me. Wouldn’t discourse.mozillians.org be a better place for it to live?

I believe it would have to undergo a security review for that to happen.

Totally possible for us to move to .mozillians.org after a security review (not much to review, nothing private here)

mozilla-community.org is a domain that we have reserved for community it stuff.

What kind of security review? Maybe that’s something we could avail of to harden the service? If Mozilla have experience auditing web service infrastructure then I would love to see how it can help us.

We’d have to ask security about what we need :wink:

Not sure who works on security, but mozillians is yet another service that crashes this laptop (discourse just about survives)

Maybe @williamr can point us in the right direction.

The mozillians.org domain is used both as a directory service and as an authentication provider for Persona. It also houses a great deal of personal information that people intend to only be shared with other Mozillians. Since anything you put on a subdomain with it would have the ability to read some of the cookies set by the parent domain, that inherently means that anything that gets to use a subdomain of that parent domain needs to be at least as secure as the main site to maintain the integrity of that personal information being stored on the parent domain.

Given that this is just a test instance, the URL is not going to be the final one anyway. Let’s focus on evaluating the software and see if it meets our needs, and if it does, we can worry about where to put a production instance later.

Gerv

2 Likes

I agree with @justdave and @gerv. Let’s keep evaluating Discourse and then we can decide what the domain is later. If we place it under mozillians.org, it will need a review from our security team.