Why include the domain name in the url?

Not that I’m trying to hide anything, but maybe the domain name is not relevant to the content or to the person with whom I choose to share the image with.

I was about to actually make use of this plugin, but not with the domain name in the URL. Sorry but it’s a no go for me.

I can see it being a useful option that could be turned on/off.

As I’m testing, I may want to show a screen shot from two different domains with the same page name. http://dev.sever/home vs http://test.server/home

The domain name is just there to be helpful, entirely random URLs are hard to tell apart from each other.

What makes you not want the domain there? The original URL is linked from the shot page, so it’s visible anyway. (Note if you link just to the image, not the shot page, then you’ll get a fully random URL.)

I can see it being useful/helpful. I don’t think I would use it much, but then I’d ask to take it a step further and add support for custom names. I could see having multiple screenshots from the same domain but uniquely identifiable by the URL.

In the most recent use, I needed screenshots of steps showing how to make changes to specific settings on a WordPress site. The settings can be applied to any WordPress site, so I don’t want any particular domain referenced when I share the images for others to follow the steps.

Speaking of the original URL being shown, what if I’m taking a screenshot of something in an email? In Gmail, the email subject and my email address are being used in the window title, so that shows up on the shot page. Also, although it’s secure and would require logging in, the link to the email within Gmail is displayed.

If I’m sharing a screenshot, that’s just information I’d prefer not to include.

Your note about linking just to the image is actually perfect! I’m one step closer to using Page Shot on a regular basis because of that little tip.

Maybe I don’t want people to see the screenshot I took comes from ilovewookies.com? Maybe I don’t want to be asociated with wookies, I just need a picture of a C3PO that happens to be in there. “I have nothing to hide” is the wrong way to take security and, of anyone in the Internet, I would think Mozilla are the ones to understand that.

This is even worse. What if someone uses an ancient forum software that still puts the session id in the url? What if the url is for a document which only people with the link should know of? (plenty of google docs shared documents are like that). I remember Google had to use a redirector for urls for their pdf viewer because the websites could look at the referrer url and get access to the pdf and it was a security concern. Please don’t make the same mistake.

Please add a way to allow me to strip all metadata from my screenshots before uploading.