Which will release first: E10s or WebExtensions?

My (XUL) extension is not Electrolysis-compatible. Should I spend my (very limited) time to make it work with e10s or should I adapt it to use WebExtensions?

I already have a Chrome version, so the latter is more appealing. But I don’t want to break entirely for my Firefox users before WebExtensions are released.

(I checked the e10s schedule but it doesn’t show when it’ll hit the Release channel.)

Thanks.

Adam

1 Like

WebExts are already out. You just need Firefox 45, and you can use the API. Although it does have some limitations, outlined here -

I would say go for WebExts, as that handles e10s support at the same time.

If you use the nightly or dev version of firefox you’ll have less WebExt incompatibilities.

Like @noitidart said, WebExtensions already work in Firefox to some extent. I think the official 1.0 launch of the API is expected for Firefox 49. On the other hand, e10s is expected to land with Firefox 48.

Depending on which APIs you use, you might be able to port your add-on already. You can find API information at http://arewewebextensionsyet.com/. If you can port your add-on to WebExtensions, that’s the best path forward. Otherwise I agree it’s a good idea to release an e10s-compatible version first.