What if a simple rep could be elected as a council member, what would be your answers?

Hey all, Pierros launched a topic for the 8 nominees but I think if everyone here can post their answers to the following questions:

1. What are the top three issues that you would want the Council to address were you to join the Council?
  2. What is in your view the Mozilla Reps program’s biggest strength and weakness? ²
  3. Identify something that is currently not working well in the Mozilla Reps program and which you think could be easy to fix?
  4. What past achievement as a Rep or Mentor are you most proud of?
  5. What are the specific qualities and skills that you have that you think will help you be an effective Council member?
  6. As a Mentor, what do you do to try to encourage your inactive Mentees to be active again?

If you were able to get elected, what would be your answers that would be an interesting game :smiley:

8 Likes

What are the top three issues that you would want the Council to address were you to join the Council?

• Time reviewing budgets. I know all of us have a life but sometimes it’s frustrating the long time that could take the decision of a budget (if gets approved or not)

• Participation of Reps. Reps should contribute/participate in different areas at Mozilla. Not keep focus and efforts only on Reps Program.

• Age limitation for contributors. I started to contribute at Mozilla since I was 15 years old, I need to say that Mozilla has not programs for motivating under age contributors (I need to say that never in the time contributing to Mozilla as treated me bad. I really want to say thanks about this). But, as under aged person I don’t want to be treated different, I want to be treated at same level as other. I have “legal” limitations being under age person, so, someone should think about participation for people like me years ago. I created time ago a sub project for Reps Program specially for under aged volunteer but nobody was interested (yes, I really long document).

What is in your view the Mozilla Reps program’s biggest strength and weakness?

Strength

• Behind the Reps Portal exist an incredible and well done structure. The best I ever seen in a community.
  • There are a lot more, I am not going to be extended here. All we know that Reps Program it’s a well done program for open participation and we should feel glad to have it, not at the communities have this structure and the support of Mozilla. :slight_smile:

Weakness

• Some people (specially new one contributing to Mozilla) thinks that Reps program it’s the best way to contribute, or that Reps are more important that other people in community. Sometimes I see Reps who has no clear what is the idea of be a Reps. The weakness for me here it’s outside Reps there’s not a clear idea about what a Reps is, and when you should join in. I know there’s a lot of docs that explain what is a Rep and an extended wiki about the Reps program. Maybe, I am the unique who has felt it.
  • There are requirements for people to join Reps program but not for people who doesn’t fit the Reps profile after they join, maybe this is not live yet, because it’s hard to define who is not a Rep and more hard need to take that decision, but meritocracy is the mother of rules here, isn’t it?.
  • People at Reps spent more time saying that there’s not transparency but they don’t give a real solution to make a better communication and more transparency in all the Reps program. The real fail here it’s the time wasted of discussion naming people who “is bad” for community but not giving solutions at the end. -1

Identify something that is currently not working well in the Mozilla Reps program and which you think could be easy to fix?

Budget process! Budget process! Budget process! Budget process! Budget process!

What past achievement as a Rep or Mentor are you most proud of?

I am proud of help local events (Flisol, Meetups, etc) and people with resources (OSS communities, people at Universities) from Mozilla to grow up. Is more important to me what through Reps Program I help to make real.

What are the specific qualities and skills that you have that you think will help you be an effective Council member?

Compromise and good communication skills. Council members for me are not people with super powers, they are people as everybody. The compromise it’s just to dedicate the time needed (sometime more) to do their additional tasks as Council and good communication skills for every time they need to make decision, a bad communicated decision is worse than a bad taken. I need to say that compromise and good communication skills are the base to work in community, so not complicated to fill the profile :smile:.

As a Mentor, what do you do to try to encourage your inactive Mentees to be active again?

I am not a mentor, but if I was, I will leave them inactive the time they want. As I said, all we have a life, family and more things, if they are inactive, I am sure that there’s a really good reason to be inactive as Mentor and I must respect it. The unique thing I could do is be prepared to help them the next time they decide to come back and be an active mentor again.

4 Likes

Wow, this thread is great! Thank you so much Sofien for getting this started and Giovanny for your thoughts!
If many more Reps would answer this topic we could learn so much and make the program better!
Fellow Reps, let us know what you think :smile:
Looking forward to your replies!

up !