WebExtensions and page scripts

WebExtensions are an excellent announcement, it is probably going to simplify the life of many developpers. Thanks a lot for that.

However, in my case, there is two major difficulties to port my Chrome extension:

• we are loading scripts from a page script and pages script cannot access the Firefox API (simple storage to be precise). In Chrome, it is possible to access the browser storage from a content script and more important: from the page script.

• page scripts are not affected by the cross-domain permissions in package.json. In Chrome, if you set a permission, then content scripts and page scripts are able to make cross-domain requests.

Are WebExtensions going to help with those issues ?

I assume by “page scripts” you mean web pages that are shipped as part of the extension and have access to chrome.* APIs. If that’s not what you mean, then my answer below doesn’t apply :-).

If I understand, you’re asking whether chrome.storage will work from content or page scripts? In our implementation right now, you can use the storage.* API from page scripts, but not yet from content scripts. However, we’ll definitely add support for that. I just filed bug 1197346 for it.

Yes, the cross-domain permissions in manifest.json apply to all code that’s part of the extension, including content scripts and page scripts.

1 Like

Perfect answer, I will follow the bug 1197346 with attention.

I thought Page script was an official term.

I currently just porting a Chrome Extension to WebExtensions and this is not working in Firefox. In Chrome its working like charm but in FF I always getting the Cross-Origin Request Blocked error.

Could not find any additional information if here a known bug is present.

You’ll need to be more specific. Which API are you using? Do you know what code is causing the error?

Thanks Jorgev for getting back to me, here some code:

mainfest.json

{
    "manifest_version": 2,
    "name": "Test Extension",
    "version": "1.0",
    "description": "Test Extension",
    "permissions": [
        "*://en.wikipedia.org/*"
    ],
    "applications": {
        "gecko": {
            "id": "borderify@mozilla.org",
            "strict_min_version": "45.0.0"
        }
    },
    "content_scripts": [
        {
            "matches": [
                "*://duckduckgo.com/*"
            ],
            "js": [
                "jquery.js",
                "content.js"
            ],
            "run_at": "document_start"
        }
    ]
}

content.js

jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    $.ajax({
        url: 'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language',
        crossDomain: true,
        dataType: 'html',
        success: function(data, status, xhr) {
            console.log(xhr);
        }
    });
});

On chrome it is working without a problem since I gave the permission to access en.wikipedia.org but on Firefox I get the following status:

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).

According to https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Content_scripts#Cross-domain_privileges that should work isn’t it?

It could be that Duckduckgo has set CSP restrictions that are causing this error. It sounds like this bug, which hasn’t been fixed yet.

I am not sure its related to that bug, duckduckgo was just as example and with other sides I am facing the same issue. So to me it does not seems to be page related.

Normally that should as I try or?

Many different sites have CSP protections now, so it could still be that problem. As a workaround, you can do the requests from the background script and communicate the results to the content script.