Using ui/sidebar displays the Sidebar with a black background

I am using the add-on History and Bookmarks Sidebar Buttons, and when it opens the History or Bookmarks Sidebar, the background of the sidebar is black.

Looking at the source code of the add-on, it simply calls chrome://browser/content/history/history-panel.xul when the button is clicked. However, typing chrome://browser/content/history/history-panel.xul in the omnibox opens the sidebar without the black background.

I understand that the Sidebar API is deprecated, but there is currently no WebExtensions equivalent. As such, what is causing the issue and how can it be fixed?

Thanks

Well, a sidebar WebExtensions API did just land in Nightly 54:
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/03/13/webextensions-firefox-54/

As I take it, you are not the developer of that add-on. If you want to “fork” it and fix the bug for yourself, enforcing background-color: 'white' on the :root of the page should work.
If you think this is a general bug with the (old) sidebar API, you can still file a bug report.

Depending on the fix, I am considering forking the add-on. I am also considering converting it to a WebExtension, as I have experience in writing Chrome extensions. My follow-up question is how would I add the CSS, in the index.js file? Thanks.

I don’t know. But what is the point of that add-on over pressing Ctrl+B? Just the toolbar button?
Re-implementing or forking that would be considerably more effort than just using the keyboard …

I don’t care so much about the Bookmarks. It’s the History Sidebar with which I’m most concerned. I am on a Mac, and Ctrl+H doesn’t work (It’s Ctrl+Cmd+H), and my habit - developed during my days using Windows - is just to hit the History button on the toolbar. Mozilla changed my UI, and I don’t like it :stuck_out_tongue: