Using content_scripts on a PDF (plugin) page

Does anyone know if content_scripts are purposely not loaded when a third party plugin, specifically Adobe Acrobat, is loaded? (Like www.example.com/demo.pdf) I was able to load my content script on v46, but now it is not loading at all on 47b1. If I switch to the built in PDF viewer the script does load.

My script adds a toolbar to specific PDFs, but obviously I will have issues with this method since not everyone uses the built in viewer due to its limitations. I’m not trying to access any page variables or functions so I’m not sure why I couldn’t do this unless there is some vulnerability that would be exposed by allowing it.

If it’s just a toolbar you could use the tab “ready” event on all tabs and display it whenever a tab contains a PDF.

It seems rather weird to me that content scripts get attached to pure plugin content in the first place, since that’s native-containers either way, so not much to interact with.

Yeah, I figure my use case is unusual. I’ll try your suggestion, but seems like I would run into the same issue. I suppose since pdf.js is native HTML that’s why a content_script could be loaded.

I’m using my toolbar to display a parts bill-of-materials for the displayed PDF.

I thought about bundling pdf.js, but I know my users “need” some of the zooming features that Adobe has so that’s out of the question too.