The Future of Page Shot

Product Manager of Test Pilot here:

Today, I’m pleased to announce that the Page Shot experiment is going to move into Firefox as part of the Firefox 54 release (coming out mid-summer) and will be available by default for all Firefox users. To celebrate the launch. we will be reworking the user interface and changing the name Page Shot to Firefox Screenshots.

The Page Shot experiment has been quite successful in Test Pilot. We’ve seen lots of users saving and downloading lots of screenshots, and watched as these numbers have increased over time. We’re thrilled to roll out Firefox Screenshots to a broader audience, and hope all Firefox users will love it as much as our Test Pilot users.

I’ll be posting more information about the details of what we’ve learned in the Test Pilot experiment shortly, but for now a bit of Q&A:

Q: What will happen to my saved screenshots from the Page Shot experiment?
A: As long as you are using the same Firefox profile, they will be automatically migrated to Firefox Screenshots.

Q: What changes are you making for the Firefox Screenshots release?
A: Aside from refactoring the user interface, we have done a great deal of work to improve the performance and stability of Screenshots in order to land the add-on code in Firefox. We’ve also localized the entire experience, so Screenshots will work wherever you use Firefox.

Q: Is there a longer term product road map?
A: Yes, you can find it here. Keep in mind that this is very provisional and subject to change based on future user feedback.

Finally, the entire Test Pilot team wants to thank everyone who participated in the Page Shot experiment. Your feedback led directly to this feature landing in Firefox. We literally couldn’t have done this without you!

3 Likes

I can’t wait any longer! I miss the page shot feature very much: I’ve set up my computer completely new. After starting firefox the first time again (yesterday) the page shot has gone.

If you use Firefox Nightly or Firefox Beta, Firefox Screenshots (the new name of Page Shot) is there automatically.

Thanks for the hint. But beta and nightly are something to me too adventurous.

Really? I can not find it in Firefox Beta.

Oh, apparently it only gets enabled for a random set of users in beta. If you visit about:config and search for “screenshots” you should find some preferences that allow you to turn it on.

extensions.screenshots.system-disabled:false
And I click the hidden icon, it is there.:star_struck:

1 Like