The fight between Google and Mozilla in Ivory Coast

Hi everyone, I am manuela reps in Ivory Coast.
I initiated a recruitment campaign FSA in 10 schools and
among these schools, there is one that covers substantially half of the
students in my country.
I went to meet to discuss and talk about the FSA recruitment campaign.
Director of 17 establishements made me understand that he has already signed a partnership with Google
and wants to have mozilla for now and that I should return in the
coming year ie in 5 months (octorbre 2015) .
He made me understand that google gave a tera their data and a lot of things yet.
He then raised the question of how much is paid to people working mozilla (I was frustrated)
Google makes media for developers to do they said (I do not know) and
wins his students to promote use mozilla or mozilla products? (Compared
to google)

Also he noted that he used for 4 years and mozilla firefox after it became so slow prefer google (lighter)

Finally, he gave me an appointment in 5 months for review and grant me
a favor because I have been a student of his school (second
frustraction)

I kindly replied that between google and mozilla but there’s no confrontation as he wishes I would return in 5 months.

So if you have information on this subject I would like you to help me debattre of this because it’s hard here.

This kind of sounds like he didn’t understand what FSA is for.

To quote TJ:

Firefox Student Ambassadors are individuals who are passionate about Mozilla, the open web, and the many benefits of Firefox and its products. They are a global pack of do-gooders and dedicated defenders of the Web! Creative and resourceful, FSAs lead campaigns and projects at their colleges and in their communities to encourage others to contribute (http://www.mozilla.org/contribute) to the Mozilla mission and utilize our products. Not just that, Firefox Student Ambassadors are web educators and strives to keep the power of the Web in hands of users everywhere. Student Ambassadors are given the opportunity to learn new skills, earn recognition, and advance their leadership in not just the Mozilla community, but in their school and local community.

The problem I see here is that he might actually not be allowed to have other “Clubs” at the schools that are not Google-oriented. And this might be one of the biggest challenges to overcome. One possibility would be to do it ouside of the University with students, but I’m not sure if that’s feasible.

I talked to Manuela before she posted this thread and she told me that people in Ivory Coast don’t believe that they get something back if they support Mozilla. The problem there is, I believe, that people don’t yet understand that you can get back something that is not material, but more on a mind basis.

She also just told me, that she’s trying to change that, I’m really happy to hear that :smile:

It would be great if other people could chime in on that (possibly also other Reps from Ivory Coast) to share their thoughts and ideas on how to advance here.