Something wrong with Tab Mix Plus?

A couple of thing that seem ‘odd’?

This morning when I opened Facebook from a desktop icon link a 2nd tab opened, http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-central-florida-weather-tropics-20160604-story.html????

I went to the URL for Tab Mix Plus, enter link description here and the page is blank?

I looked up the developer on the add-ons page, same result as the first link?

I really got suspicious that there is a problem with this add-on as I was on another URL and all of a sudden that URL switched to a FAKE Adobe page and a dialog box popped up for a FLASHPLAYER D/L to be saved. Odd ONLY because Tab Mix is set to open links in a new tab and I had NOT touched a link, I was reading the page.

On top of that, my wife also had the add-on installed and twice she accepted the D/L. Immediately Norton Security quarantined it. She was on other sites when it happened. One was a game on Facebook and she assumed the game needed the d/l update of Flash.

I don’t think many sites would be infected but an add-on could be. Now that I can’t even contact the author or see his site I’m wondering if that add-on is the cause.

BTW, the minute I canceled the d/l the web page went back to my original URL I was on. I couldn’t capture the URL, wasn’t even in my history, but I could see my wifes, 2 different ones as the d/l was accepted.

Did you install the extension from the official page? There’s contact information on that page you can use to get in touch with the developer, which is what I would recommend in this case. I also suggest you check your computers for malware.

I did install the add-on from the official page, a long time ago. I was able to get to the author via a different forum and he got back to me. Page was down for awhile.

Up now.

First thing I did was scan, all clear.

There seems to be a rash of ‘hacked’ web sites. Adobe FlashPlayer seems to one a lot of hits on searching Google for it. Wife got hit with another one too, opens a tab and starts playing a siren. Move to the tab and it says you are infected, do not reboot, and call the number. Googled that number, a lot of hits on it too recently. All from hacked web sites. She plays a Facebook game, Bubble Epic, and that is usually the one that mutates to the fake Adobe site.

Only thing in common we had on the 2 PC’s is Firefox with Tab Mix Plus which was just updated the first time she got hit and then I got hit at a different site a few hours later.

Both PC’s have 2 different active Security Suites, McAfee and Norton, and both have been scanned clean with a few different malware programs.

In any even, at this time I don’t think Tab Mix Plus is involved, just site that got hacked.