Signing a previously approved add-on

Hi all,

I searched the forum and I see a lot of questions related to this, but I still haven’t found anything that specifically answers my question.

I have previously installed add-ons that was working fine in versions before FF 43, and now with the new version they are disabled because they haven’t been signed and verified.

So, I did some research in how to sign an add on. I’m still confused by what I’ve been reading - is it possible for AMO to sign the previously uploaded add ons upon my request, OR do I need to upload a new version of my add ons?

If I need to submit a new version, what do I need to do differently? Do I need some kind of token? Where do I start?

Please help. Thanks

By the way, the add-ons in question are:

Perapera Chinese Popup Dictionary
Perapera Japanese Popup Dictionary

These aren’t actually mine, I’m helping a friend with this.

Admin reviewers can get that addon signed without the need to submit a new version.
At the moment, due to the holidays, many are away.

If you upload a new version, once it is approved, it will automatically get signed so it may be faster that way.

Both of those addons seem signed though.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/perapera-kun-chinese-popup-tra/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/perapera-kun-japanese-popup-tr/

Thanks for the reply erosman, makes sense. They aren’t signed, but I might try uploading a new version if the reviewers don’t get to it this week.

I talked with Mozilla, and they told me to remove the “unpack” line from the install.rdf file. I did that, and submitted the new plugin.

They approved it, but the plugin does not work at all. It uses a sqlite dictionary for Chinese translation, and users are reporting they cannot load the dictionary. Before, they were able to load it when the unpack was set to true.

Now users are sending many emails about this.

Why was I instructed to remove or set unpack to false, when it broke the entire plugin?

What is the solution? I need an immediate solution ASAP. Things are getting desperate.

Please help!

Because hundreds of users were emailing about the problem with the add on, I had to roll back to the previous working version.

Now I’m back to square one. The add on does install and work properly, but after users restart their firefox, the firefox browser disables the plugin.

I think the problem lies with Firefox itself. When can this be fixed?

The cause for this has been identified in

https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/modifying-install-rdf-results-in-corrupted-add-on/6452/15?u=theone

Case closed. :smile:

In the future we’d really appreciate if you kept it to one thread in one communication channel, instead of using different channels (email, discourse) as this makes it hard to keep track. In fact this could have been solved much earlier.

Actually, case isn’t closed yet. Are you going to provide any workable solutions in the “Modifying install.rdf results in corrupted add-on” thread?

So, you are cross-posting again?

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to your problem.

Why do you need to change install.rdf?