Should I replace all my .XUL files with HTML?

Hi All, I might have asked this before and if I did apologies in advance :slightly_smiling:

Anyway, I’m starting to have trouble with my xul dialogs. I get weird behavior when I try to pass parameters to the window. To be honest this is nothing new and I’d done all sorts of ugly hacks to avoid using parameters in my calls to openDialog.

Some of those hacks have broken. I’ve read XUL is going away. instead of spending time making my XUL work should I just re-write everything with HTML?

While I’m on the subject HTML doesn’t really have all the UI controls XUL has. Is it OK for me to bundle jquery-ui or some such with my plugin? Should I worry about doing that? It seems like a lot of extra code to introduce.

Thanks!

I would for sure. I moved to XHTML even before the announcement. XHTML allows for localization in the exact same way XUL does. If you use libraries like ReactJS the localization is done all on the javascript side so you don’t really need the XHTML. Here is an example: https://github.com/Noitidart/l10n/tree/xhtml-xul

If you need more let me know. I do all my stuff in XTHML pages.

Thanks. How do you debug you’re XHTML? One thing I’ve noticed is I can’t just hit F12 and bring up the Developer tools when I open an HTML window with window.open. I’m not sure how to get to a console where I can see errors.

Then there’s the whole mess of layouts and Controls. Firefox still doesn’t support HTML5 range/slider controls :(. I can use jquery-ui I suppose. But it seems like there should be a better solution.