Schrödinger’s Firefox OS - The Firefox OS is (not) dead disaster

Hey guys,

I wanted to share a blog post of mine, related to Mozlando and the “Firefox OS is dead” PR disaster there. I believe these are some lessons for Mozilla to be learned and we need to address these.

http://elioqoshi.me/en/2016/01/schrodingers-firefox-os/

Mitchell replied constructively to me on Twitter regarding this, so I’d be happy if we can have this conversation at the Leadership Summit,

Your feedback is appreciated!

1 Like

Hey again,

After a short chat with @nukeador , I thought it would be needed to clarify that the post was not intended to point fingers at anyone for the sake of doing that. I also want to emphasize that I will be following up with a proposal of possible solutions to such scenarios.

For this, I added 2 edits to my blog post to not create any missunderstanding. Thanks to the Participation team for its efforts in this case also!

I think the post was fine, both before and after you made the edits. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and start this discussion. Looking forward to your follow-up post on how to fix things, or at least do better going forward.

Thank you Asa, it’s appreciated! I hope to come up with a proposal by gathering feedback before embarking for the Leadership Summit in Singapore. Will you be there by the way?

Hey Elio,

I think you raise some very valid points here and certainly this is an issue with deep roots.

However, you’ll be happy to hear you don’t need to tackle this issue alone, and I want to call out the invisible work of a group of contributors who helped mitigate this disaster, the Community Feedback Group . @Christos @flore, Adriano and others worked swiftly to assess the feedback from their communities, reach out with concrete information, and compile a list of the most pressing questions and communities needing response.

Beyond just responding, myself and this group are in the process of trying to create the systems, infrastructure, and relationships necessary to prevent this kind of community communication failure. If this is something your passionate about it would be great to get you involved!

Over the past year they have helped draft many of the most important communications that went out on community channels, reported back the reaction and feelings of communities and identified which channels communications need to be sent on, all the while building credibility within Mozilla.

We still have a ways to go to make sure that community communication is involved early and effectively but we’re moving in the right direction.

We are currently looking for passionate Mozillians looking to represent their communities in the communications group. If anyone is interested in getting involved, please email community-feedback@mozilla.com with your location (we try and have a diverse geographical group) and why you want to join.

Cheers,
Lucy

1 Like