Poll: Do you know how made polls at discourse?

• Yes
  • Non
  • I prefer to talk about cats

0 voters

Dear Mozillians, participation, democracy, decision making … are interested topics to me and I want to invite you to use the poll option in discourse, is a very interesting tool that we are not using.

How it works?
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/plugins/poll/README.md

Happy polling :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would like to understand how discourse polls can help us in this matter.

And I would like to point out that Mozilla Reps portal has a voting system (the very same we use for council elections) that is currently being used for council and mentors voting.

In discourse you can focus your decision making in the group of interest (by category), I found an example:
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/poll-which-layout-do-you-prefer-for-the-homepage-of-discourse/433

I doesn’t know how to create a poll in reps system and I don’t know if you can get a contextual discussion in the same place like in discourse.

I don’t now others but I don’t feel Reps portal as a participation place, I feel it more like an accountability system (corporate style). In the other hand discourse feels more like the agora, more community, a place where I can take the initiative without fear.

We can use (and we are in fact doing now) Reps discourse to start/drive discussions about different topics and use the Reps portal voting system when needed and there are proposals to vote. Only mentors and Council can set up voting there.

As I have commented in other topic, Council is finishing a proposal to facilitate any Rep to get involved and propose changes to the program. It will be shared soon with mentors for feedback and then with all the Reps.

I really aren’t interested in become mentor or council to use Reps voting system I Just think that polls at discourse are a very interesting tool outside from the central control, maybe for non very important things or maybe something really important can emerge, we never can know. In all the cases is very interesting to know this feature and share it with others.

The problem with polls here is that don’t and can’t represent the Reps program. Anyone can create a user here to vote, there is no closed census.

Polls on the portal can be created by mentors or Council by all Reps can be selected to vote :wink:

so, if regular reps need to polls, how’s the best method? create bug ticket? ask their mentor?

Polling 450 Reps is something that has to have a solid plan behind, we can’t bother 450 people everyday.

If there is something you think needs a poll from all program, go ahead a talk with your mentor, mentors and Council can then evaluate if it’s the best approach and move it forwards.

It make sense, so we can agree that reps who need to poll, can contact mentor/council so they can discuss the best plan to do it.

1 Like