People asking to be vouched

Periodically I see people posting in here asking to be vouched. It’s my personal opinion that 90% of the time, if you’re having to ask to get vouched, then you probably haven’t yet done enough to be worthy of it, since vouching is a sign that other people are recognizing your work, and/or you’re in too big of a hurry to show off rather than just being here to help. On those other 10% it may well be that the people who would have otherwise vouched for them might not have realized that nobody had vouched them yet. I don’t know how much the user accounts here are tied into mozillians.org yet, but if it were possible to do, it seems like an indicator of some sort on the user appearances here to tell whether a person is vouched or not would be useful. That would help people who might vouch someone realize that they actually need vouching without that pressure of having to tell someone “no” if they don’t necessarily deserve it yet. Perhaps the help screen that explains that indicator could explain to people that vouching is something you earn and not something you request.

1 Like

Of course, the other obvious issue with UI like that is you don’t want to make people feel like they can’t participate if they aren’t vouched. Perhaps that UI should only be visible to people who are already vouched? Then the explanation part of it I suggested would be useless, but… meh.

Right now discourse connects to Mozillians API and adds you to a vouched mozillian group if you are.

Discourse admins could create a badge that is automatically applied to all people in a group.

This would be the query for the badge creation:

SELECT gu.user_id, gu.created_at AS granted_at, null AS post_id
FROM group_users AS gu
WHERE gu.group_id = ( SELECT id FROM groups WHERE name ilike 'mozillians_vouched' )

/cc @leo @tanner