Option to select screen area manually

It will be good to have the option to take screenshot of the page selectively…

You can. Just click and drag any area you want. Wait a minimum 2 seconds without moving your mouse (not even by 1 pixel) and don’t click anything. Then after waiting, carefully left-click and you’ll see the buttons appear to save or upload or cancel.

1 Like

@TwoCables has it right. His suggestion works, but it’s surprising that people still want to manually select areas. I love Firefox Screenshots for one reason: the ability to take screenshots of certain areas based on the webpage elements. :slight_smile:

Drag and wait is really not intuitive. And how long is 2 seconds, anyway? Left click, drag, left click would be better. Or left click, resize the capture portal from sides and corners, then left click would work.

Actually, it’s not 2 seconds. It’s instant.

It may not be 2 second delay but a delay is required after the drag before the action buttons appear and the cursor is released. Actually, the delay also seems to vary. I just tested it on this page.

I do think the element highlight selection is very useful.

1 Like

I love the element highlight selection too.

Yeah, I made a thread a while ago to say that I hate this 2-second wait: Cancel/Download/Save buttons take 2+ seconds to appear (on click and drag).

It’s precisely 2000ms, or 2 whole seconds. This only applies to the click & drag. It doesn’t apply to element selection. I believe it’s controlled by this in about:config: dom.browserElement.maxScreenshotDelayMS It’s set to 2000ms, but changing it to 0 or 1 or even -1 made no difference - even after restarting Firefox after each change to this setting.

The way it worked up until Firefox Screenshots was removed from my version of Firefox (52.3.0 ESR), clicking & dragging to select ANY area I wanted required me to wait 2 seconds before I could left-click to get those buttons to appear. I had to do absolutely nothing while waiting. If I moved the mouse even 1 pixel or clicked any of its buttons during that time or used the scroll wheel, then the timer would reset and I’d have to wait another 2 seconds.

Sometimes doing the click & drag selection resulted in the buttons appearing instantly, so I don’t know.