Non-AVX CPU struggle

Hello everyone,

At work, we are starting an effort to transcribe many things. So far, we’ve been training our favourite cloud service provider and paying for the privilege. So, I thought, if we are getting a good number of people to train the models, let us at least contribute to a cause. I’m really keen into getting it to work, because we would be able to contribute with multiple languages (big company, many countries).

Unfortunately, my workstation is a classic Mac Pro (2x Xeon X5675) and my boss won’t assign me any resources before I have a working concept. I thought of going to Linux, but I can’t do that now, not even dual boot (EFI, can’t see boot screen, can’t see boot drive, a new computer would be nice), but even that wouldn’t help, because I have an AMD GPU. My current OS is the latest macOS (Mac OS) X 10, however Apple calls it these days.

So, after some head-scratching, I successfully compiled and ran v0.5.0-alpha.11-17 without AVX (and, unfortunately, that came as well without SSE4.2), but it runs.

However, I can’t use the pre-trained models to run a POC because of the version mismatch. I downloaded some samples and decided to then run some training but then I get stuck with to run DeepSpeech.py, because it seems to prefer Python3, but then I get to the AVX tensorflow (I compiled everything under Python2, naïve, never used this before, didn’t check the environment), so I can’t get the ds_ctcdecoder to work, it seems to be happy only under Python3, and if I run that, I get the tensorflow that I didn’t compile myself, it tries AVX and boom, it dies.

Any tips?

PS: What a cool project!

Well, turns out you can now.

Unfortunately, AVX requirement is default from TensorFlow upstream.

Good timing, we’ve just released v0.5.0 including a pre-trained model :slight_smile: https://github.com/mozilla/DeepSpeech/releases/v0.5.0

1 Like

That’s why I compiled it as well.

I stayed away from compiling for years after losing some hair with a Power5 AIX box I had for a few years. It is tiring…

Yeay! Downloading it right away.

In case this works and I can make boss happy, I should get access to a decent box somewhere in the “”"""“cloud”""""".

Initial targets would be English, German and Spanish, natives and non-natives.

Please contribute with respective communities, so that everybody can benefit.