New Relic

Hi,

Was wondering if people wanted to use New Relic for Discourse?
There’s a few misunderstandings of New Relic floating around, so just to flatten those out if they’re still here:

• New Relic is not a server monitoring tool. The server monitoring
    part is just so we can measure the application’s impact upon a
    server, realistically. Icinga does the real server monitoring :slight_smile:
  • New Relic is a fully featured performance monitoring tool, and can find out where we’re having issues
  • It creates cool graphs
  • We can actually use it to find bugs in discourse that are causing end user annoyances, and report them
  • We can link it to the services that make up our infrastructure, to monitor their performance too

Thoughts?

I personally would like to be using this. If we start using to file bugs, we’ll be feeding something more back into the open source community, and be making the service we provide better :slight_smile: Looking at the foundation’s account, it looks like a really valuable tool, as confirmed by JP. If anybody wants a demo of what it looks like to the foundation for all their big sites (webmaker etc) which run really cool applications, let me know, I’d be happy to show you it.

1 Like

We’re using New Relic across mozilla. Highly recommended. The only real negative to using it is that it isn’t 100% open source, but they are very active in the open source community, as you can see from their github org.