Netflix using HTML5

Hi,

I’ve just read about Netflix using HTML5 for their web version:

Unfortunetly they just support Chrome :frowning:

Maybe it has to do with EME extensions and we will be able to have support for Firefox as soon as we have DRM module in place.

Anyone knows when is this is planned to arrive on release? Is our Adobe DRM module compatible with Netflix?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be compatible. This and a matchstick might make me subscribe though.

I believe that usually media providers just use one type (or vendor) DRM.

Support for Netflix requires EME (Encrypted Media Extensions), MSE (Media Source Extensions) and H.264 video codec support. The first two of these are in progress. MSE can be enabled in nightly builds by turning on the media.mediasource.enabled setting if you are adventurous. This will result in YouTube’s HTML5 player using MSE to play videos using WebM for example.

If you search Bugzilla for EME, MSE and MP4 in the video/audio component you’ll see relevant bugs for these projects.

Is there a roadmap on when do we plan to have these implemented?

More importantly, Chrome not only has EME but has a Google-proprietary Netflix-supported Widevine DRM component. EME is just a way for JS to talk with Widevine.

1 Like

We are not ready to announce a timeline for EME + Adobe Access DRM. “When it’s ready.” Which is likely at different times for different operating systems. We have not made any announcements about the compatibility of EME-flavored Adobe Access with any particular service.