Need help testing Flashing instructions

I’ve written up instructions for flashing builds to flatfish devices and am looking for people to help test them.

Please post any issues you encounter while following these instructions or any other feedback.

It’s great that the vendor is now hosting builds unfortunately, as seen in the new Build Status page, there is currently only one viable build (in the stable folder).

We hope to also get some recent 2.0 builds hosted for TCP contributors whose testing require it, but our main focus of bug finding and fixing is now on 2.1.

Note that it is currently not possible to flash builds from a Mac.

the builds doesn’t have a bash file , just an .sh

I’m attempting to follow these instructions using a Windows 7 VirtualBox machine on an OS X host, and unfortunately, it appears to have resulted in a nicely bricked tablet.

I am (apparently) able to begin the process of upgrading the bootloader, which is to sat that the Phoenix software recognised that a tablet was connected. When I clicked “Yes” to the overwrite warning, it brought up a progress bar, then sat at “[0]” time elapsed for a while. After what is very clearly some arbitrary time-out period, it flashed an error message (described here) and aborted.

Now the tablet is totally unresponsive. Hopefully the unbricking thread will help. :smile:

EDIT Nope, still bricked. :frowning:

In case we don’t connect on IRC before you’re available again I wanted to share some thoughts (though I generally prefer live troubleshooting).
In VirtualBox, I think you want to open settings, go to the USB section and add a filter (the top toolbar button I think) that essentially hijacks all connected USB connections. I think what’s happening is that in the flashing process the device may disconnect momentarily or change IDs or something and windows loses it, and if VBox is not set to grab it immediately, PhoenixSuit times out.
You obviously want to start hitting the power button repeatedly once you plug it in.
If PhoenixSuit or windows are not seeing it, you may want to make sure to check out the device manager in Windows as well as lsusb in linux to see if something is seeing the device connected.
Try holding down the power button for 10 seconds (or more?) to make sure it is completely powered off. When you follow the protocol (hold the volume key, plug in USB) it puts it in FEL mode and that mode is non obvious (just like it were off) except for the fact that when plugged in to a computer it should register somewhere.