Mixed Reality (Leap Motion) and future of computing? Privacy? our data? which OS do we want?

Hello everyone,

It might not be the best place to post about it, but it’s here, with B2G OS community that I feel comfortable to speak about it.

I’ve just discovered that new promising technology (I let you check by yourself, I’m not here to advertise about it).
I have known about Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality and I have found them being interesting stories, sometime impressive but I couldn’t see a future for it, because complicated, unnatural, inconvenient, and without bringing a technology break with it.
I was amazed but not seduced, not convinced…

However, when I saw the potential of the Mixed Reality, I had the same feeling than when I saw the presentation of the multi-touching technology made by Jeff Han some years before the first iPhone. That was a breaking technology.

They are talking about the need to scan places and share these information in the (their I guess) cloud. It means that I some point, we’ll have to give them the scan of our own sleeping room if we want to watch a movie from bed with this techno…

In fact, with such technology, the Mixed Reality, what will be the use of smartphone, laptop, desktop, TV, and even wearable (except for some sensors)? As everything can be virtually projected into our own eyes, we can personalize our reality and see a watch on our wrist (whereas there is none), we can see a laptop and work on it, whereas there is none, we can watch a film on the wall (whereas nothing is projected)… I let you imagine the rest. And I came here to ask the question of privacy? of our data? of the software that will run this technology?

Should we let some private OS take all the place of these devices coming the way iOS and Android win all markets on smartphone and then try to catch back or should we try to anticipate the possibilities?

Sorry if it sounds a bit alarmist?

Thatoo

There is no Mixed Reality, it’s a marketing name. You have VR (with only the screen, not the physical world) or AR (with physical world + virtual object), you can switch between both, but you can’t really “mix” it.
Mixed Reality is another name for Augmented Reality. You know, marketing stuff :confused:

That’s not common, you can’t do it at >60fps. But anyway, it’s proprietary software if most cases.

More than privacy, a closed environment will be a pain for consumer, as it start to be on VR helmets.
(for VR, see the OSVR project, which is open source / hardware)

That said, it’s important (as usual) to have free software but… it’s not related to B2G OS :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:
It might be more a topic to raise on the connected devices part. Some people are working on MozVR, maybe you can talk with them about it ? :wink:

Yes, there is webVR ( made mostly by mozVR ? ) to intergrate VR ( and AR ? ) on the web : https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebVR_API
You can use it with Firefox OS :wink:
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/mozvr-on-foxfooding-build/5318