How to sign an extension for testing?

I’ve read Jorge Villalobos’s blog on extension signing. In a reply about how to get an extension signed he states:

• Upload it to the beta channel, which will get it signed automatically, and then download the signed file and remove it from AMO. It’s very unlikely any users in your beta channel will get updated to this version if you take it down quickly.

However, that doesn’t seem to work. I went through all the motions of uploading an extension (with the id “OPIE2@guid.customsoftwareconsult.com” and version “1.0alpha”. There are six steps to uploading a new extension and the last step is to specify either “Full” or “Preliminary” review. I chose “preliminary” and was given a link to download the (supposedly) signed .xpi. I opened it up but did not see the “META-INF” folder which I presume contains the signing code.

Did I miss something? Is the proper way to upload to the “beta channel” is to just include the words “alpha”, or “beta” in the version string in install.rdf?

1 Like

Beta channels for add-ons are enabled for fully reviewed add-ons hosted on AMO only.