How do you load icons on context menu with web extensions?

I’ve developed an add-on that adds a context menu item, but I can’t get it to display the add-on icon on the menu. Nothing shows up in Firefox 48.0 or 49.0, but it will work in the current Nightly version.

According to all of the documentation that I have read online, the ability to display icons on the context menu when using web extensions was supposed to be added in Firefox 47.0 (1 version before web extensions became stable), but it appears that they never added it.

Does anyone know why the icons won’t display in the release version? Was there some reason that the developers haven’t pushed this feature through to the release yet?

I filed a bug report about the issue, but it was almost immediately disregarded because there is no issue in the Nightly version. Anyone know of a workaround? or fix for this?

The only thing I can do for you is confirm thst there is a bug.

If I do

chrome.contextMenus.create({
    title: '...',
    contexts: [ 'all', ],
    onclick: ...,
    documentUrlPatterns: [ '...', ],
});

in FF49 it works (with the extensions default icon).

If I load it into the same profile with FF48 it fails silently (no menu entry at all).

It appears that the developers haven’t yet added this feature to the release version of Firefox. It doesn’t work for me in FF49, but it works in FF51 and I think FF50.