History manipulation?

I would like to have such an extension. Would anyone be interested to create one, or if not, could anyone give me some tips on implementation?
If not interested, you can skip to the Question part.

Description:
The extension aims to produce a history that matters, not including any trivial pages visited.
I used to use Private Browsing for visiting trivial pages, but the disadvantage is that private windows/tabs are not kept in sessions.
The extension is supposed to behave in either of the 2 ways:

• Aggressive mode: History is not recorded by default; only by clicking an button (similar to the Bookmark button) is a page recorded in history. These historified pages (specified by URL) are automatically recorded in history when visited hereafter.
  • Moderate mode: History is recorded by default. Users can specify certain tabs (and tabs derived from them) to not be recorded in history, in a togglable way. These unhistorified tabs can be labeled with, say, underscores or tab color.

Thus creating a clean history.
By history, I also mean URLs entered in Address Bar.

Question:
How can an extension prevent recording of history and resume recording when needed to?

Personal experience on creating Firefox extensions: None.

1 Like

What is a trivial page?

The history and bookmarks APIs are documented here. It might be possible to hack together something like you need, for example, by deleting the history entries when recording is โ€œoffโ€, right after they are created. There might be more elegant solutions, though.