Help Needed: How would you use Project Link?

Mozilla’s Project Link is a platform to develop and run apps that get Connected Devices to work together.

Project Link is currently at a very, very early stage, and we are working hard to provide a first testable prototype. A few examples of things that we’d like to do with Project Link, eventually:

• remote control my heaters from my cellphone while I’m in the train, to make sure that my home is warm when I arrive;
  • attach a cheap “is my door opened?” detector to the office door, write a simple script to send me an e-mail or a SMS if someone forgets to close the door;
  • put together a few cheap smoke detectors and a cheap speaker, write a simple script to play a sound and send me an SMS immediately if smoke is detected;
  • put together a few ground humidity detectors and a simple script to display every day which parts of the farm need to be irrigated;
  • rig together an alarm using a motion detector, a camera and a simple script;

To help us code in the right direction, it would be very useful for us to have more scenarios and use cases. So, if you are reading this, what kind of uses would you have for Project Link?

2 Likes

maybe you can add:

• light detector: if there is a room into which the light is still on but the room is not used (to minimize energy consumption)
  • similar things as above for any devices/appliances used at home like TV, Radio, oven …

Thanks for the suggestions.

Would you mind filing more complete descriptions on our issue tracker? You can draw inspiration from the following template.