Firfox Sound Output Filter Add-on

Is it possible to write an add-on that grabs the audio stream as it emerges from Firefox and manipulate it before sending it on its way?

If so I will pay a programmer hacker that knows how to do that, and simply prove he can do that, to create an add-on that merely connects to a single VST host and lets it play havoc any way a creative sound engineer can provide before passing it on to whatever bit bucket Firefox sound usually goes into.

If you are interested you can trade payment for equity. For 100% equity, no payment, it’s all yours, child, I just get the joy of helping make it and using it to solve another problem I’m brickwalled against. I think there is money potential enough (it will become a ubiquitous if not native capability) by itself that somebody who know how should jump on it. If it fails to spark that inevitability feeling in anyone I will shell out some of my hard saved to get it. I can be a useful mentor as well to help you learn the lay of the land.

Even if there is not a current spot in the add-on API for processing sound I can’t imagine the hack to provide it would prove to even be a difficult task for someone with the right skill set. I’m willing to even consider a FF executable patch with legs. Then one needs to be able to, from the add-on’s JavaScript, invoke an external interface to exchange an audio stream to that, a VST host with a GUI running on the user’s machine. There are many superlative candidates for that host function. The add-on needs provide nothing for management. It’s only user interface is the ability to name a VST host that’s on one’s machine. Then wait for the contributions to roll in. :slight_smile:

Even if you just carry the task to where any JavaScript programmer can use your new API as a filter I might then be able to find someone who can do the rest regarding hooking up with a running app to hand it samples and return the results to the Firefox stream.