Firefox on KDE Plasma 5 beta 5.10.95 with KWin

2017-09-14: announcement of the beta (5.10.95), Plasma 5.11 Beta Makes the Desktop More Powerful, Elegant and Secure - KDE.org

2017-09-16: KDE kwin bug 384760 – absence of proper (current) titles in Task Manager where, for example, many windows are opened in rapid succession by Firefox or SeaMonkey. Patched 2017-09-18, fix committed 2017-09-23 (fixed in 5.11.0).

Separate from that bug, there’s an edge case where just one untitled page can have a <2> that’s unnecessary. Whilst I don’t plan to report that very minor/transient issue, it might encourage other testers to watch for titling issues.

Just two other incidents.

Probably a graphics driver issue, with Firefox present by coincidence:

This incident more clearly affected Firefox:

– but it wasn’t a showstopper. The workaround was simple enough, it began with a click on the maximise button.

Neither incident reported, because my FreeBSD-CURRENT is significantly outdated and I’m not likely to update in the near future. Just food for thought …

… testers of saner installations of KDE Plasma beta might like to watch out for such things.

Very strange I am using KDE (on debian sid) with Firefox and I don’t have that issues.

For the <2> in the title is a behaviour of KDE when there are 2 window with the same title, as example open 2 dolphin instance to the same path and you will see that.

For the issue of first screen is probably something with the graphic driver and for the second one too.

1 Like

To put it in context, here’s an untitled window <3> minimising whilst untitled window <2> remains visible:

– and there are not three untitled windows. In this edge case, with two untitled windows, the ideal should be:

• no title for the first
  • a <2> suffix for the second.

Side note

I normally use this to remove the ’ - Mozilla Firefox’ noise from windows of Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/firetitle/

– and the same extension, converted, to remove the ’ - SeaMonkey’ noise from windows of SeaMonkey.

@Mte90 are/were your versions of KDE Plasma, KDE Frameworks and Qt the same as I have here? Respectively:

The patch came quickly to Area 51. I wonder whether your distro was patched similarly in good time.

This is mine seems that we have different versions other then distro but as my experience on KDE when there are that glitch is kwin and not Firefox.

1 Like