[Feature request] Redirect users to currently maintained versions of abandoned add-ons

Many of popular incompatible add-ons licensed under free licenses have forks developed by other developers. However, there is no easy way for general users to find them when they land on the AMO pages for obsolete add-ons. We can easily find tons of “This add-on doesn’t work” reviews on add-ons with updated versions already available. Add-on experience is currently degraded due to this situation, making more users stick to insecure old versions of Firefox.

I propose that:

• Volunteers submit possible replacements to the AMO editors.
  • The editors review them and reject inappropriate submissions.
  • The editors send notices to the original developers.
  • Prominent links are shown on the obsolete add-ons’ pages, saying something like:

This add-on looks a bit outdated. There is an updated version [Name] developed by [Developer].

Thanks for reading. I hope this is implemented.

2 Likes

@desktopd I really like this suggestions. I maintain myself a fork of a fork of a fork (or something like that) of an add-on and people mix all forks up whatsover, which is kinda annoying. Having a clear message “this is absolete” may help there.

But what is happening if one add-on has multiple, still active and maintained forks? Who is gonna decide on what principles what fork is getting advertised? If the original add-on maintainers are still active they can decided it of course, but what if not?