Editing feature not working

When you try and edit an article, the editable interface no longer renders, and instead, just a message saying “autosave enabled”

Yup, the MDN edit mode is currently broken. Our devs are working on a fix right now.

1 Like

Editing is fixed. There was an issue with the CDN serving old versions of CKEditor files. The details are in https://github.com/mdn/sprints/issues/725.

1 Like

Many thanks to @jwhitlock and @Schalk_Neethling for investigating this right away this morning.

I’m hopeful we will hear a bit about how we can avoid this happening again, or at least more quickly mitigate and/or fix the problem.

We’ve avoided this issue because we haven’t added any plugins to CKEditor in over a year. I’m happy to continue not touching CKEditor in the future :slight_smile: However, we’ll just be more careful next time, and verify CKEditor changes in production as well as staging. As you can see in sprints #725, I’ve identified the root cause, and this particular issue shouldn’t happen again.

In the future @chrisdavidmills should feel empowered to escalate issues when major MDN features are broken. We’re being asked to move fast and make bold changes in 2019, so I expect more fire alarms like this.

1 Like

Thanks @jwhitlock. Is there a specific escalation process documented anywhere that contributors and staff can use? I think we should make when and how to escalate very explicit, to make the process easier all round, and to minimise the risk of getting you folks out of bed early or disturbing your weekends without good reason. That would make me feel very guilty.

There are a number of additional changes that in theory I intend to make to our CKEditor configuration, as time permits. There’s a lot we can do there to make working on MDN so much better if we can just find the time. We just have to be certain things are tested both before and after rolling out to production in the future.