"Duplicate add-on ID found" updating unlisted extensions

Looks like others are having this problem but each case is a little different.

A few weeks ago I submitted a new extension for the first time. The extension is unlisted and does not have an update URL because it ships within my OS X native application. It was approved immediately.

Today I submitted an update, with the version number bumped by +1 but the same identifier (id) in the install.rdf. I plan to ship the update within the next version of the same OS X native application. Result:

Your add-on failed validation with 1 error. Duplicate add-on ID found.

What might be wrong? Thank you!

What is your add-on ID? How did you submit it? If you were using the signing API, please try uploading via the web-interface.

Hello, Andreas. Actually, I have two such extensions. The values of their em id keys are:

syncextension@sheepsystems.com
menuextension@sheepsystems.com

I only tried one; I think it was the first one. I did try this using the web interface.

(I was not yet aware of the signing API but that is a wonderful idea, and I shall check that out after we get this resolved.(

What is the email of your AMO account? If you are uncomfortable sharing this in the public, you can send me a PM or drop us a note on amo-admins AT mozilla DOT org.

I checked your add-ons with the provided details via PM and can’t find any issues. How exactly did you try to upload a new version?

Thank you, Andreas. Sorry, this was all my fault. I apparently clicked the “Submit Add-On” button instead of the “New version” link under the existing listing. I’m going to have to find that signing API to avoid future human errors!

See

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/12/18/signing-firefox-add-ons-with-jpm-sign/