Discourse meetup Madrid (27/2/14)

Hi,

I’ve been just notified that on February 27th the first Discourse meet up in Europe is going to take place in Madrid (Spain) and that the Discourse project leader is going to attend. Mozilla has been invited to have presence there if we wanted to:

http://www.territoriocreativo.es/etc/2014/02/¿vas-a-perderte-el-primer-encuentro-sobre-discourse-en-europa.html [es]

I have pinged mozillians in Madrid about it in case someone have time to attend. Probably it’s a good opportunity to talk with them and let them know we have this initiative at Mozilla and create a fluent communication between projects for the future.

What do you think?

1 Like

Totally fantastic idea! Maybe someone from Community IT should join the meetup? Do we have anyone in Spain?

I have been more less following Community IT, not really deeply involved, but unfortunately I can’t travel to Madrid on weekdays.

I don’t think we have any community IT members who were involved with Discourse in Spain. Most of us are spread throughout UK and US, with one or two in Germany.

Quick update: @willyaranda will be able to attend! Let him know what do we want to comment there.

Nice! Does he use Discourse for work or something?

It is short notice and it looks like there is a small guest list, so I’m not sure we’d be able to send someone else, but we do have some people in the UK that are adults if there would be a spot left. I think it’s Spanish though?

Hi!

I do not use discourse (I know this tool because of the Reps meeting last weekend and just have a glance at it, nothing more), but it seems promising.

I don’t know about the language, but we might contact one of the organizers, because it maybe have a free spot for a Mozillian guy. If it is not possible, I can exchange my spot with him/her, since I think it will be more productive.

cc @mrz

Seems to be Spanish speaking.

Hi!
I am one of the organizers and I joined this community last weekend (I love Mozilla) :slight_smile:

• We would totally love if @willyaranda could speak about how the Mozilla Community will use Discourse and it will be specially interesting if he can say something about the migration from Yammer to Discourse.

• Jeff Atwood will participate by doing a 10-15 min. videocall (he can’t attend in person - sorry for the hype) and the meetup will be a Spanish speaking (except for the Jeff speak).

• There will be about 30-40 people including 5 to 7 speakers: Jeff Atwood, Gonzalo Martín (Territorio creativo), José Alcántara (Versvs - Cartograf), Beltrán Rueda (Bitnami), Pablo Corral (Cryptocurrencies), ¿Willy Aranda? and me.

Also, we encourage everyone who wants to attend, the event hall has a capacity of 60+ people :wink:

David,

Thanks for the update!

Since it is Spanish speaking I think it would be best if @willyaranda goes. Either we can give him a crash course on what we’re doing (shouldn’t take that long!) or he can be interpreter support for Will if he goes.

1 Like

Hi,

I don’t have any problems of having a quick course of how Discourse is used in Mozilla and what are the future plans for that.

1 Like

Hey folks!

This event is tomorrow, and I don’t have more info about what Mozilla wants from Discourse. I can’t talk with @mrz because timezone issues (I think we are 9 hours off: PST vs CEST).

Could you write down some of the ideas about Discourse here so I can give them what you actually want?

if not, I have my talk at 18:40 (which should be 9:40 PST), so maybe you can join remotely.

Cheers,

Guillermo

@willyaranda I can do a call tonight and give you a quick summary about it.

https://communityit.etherpad.mozilla.org/discoursemadrid

We’ve put some ideas into this pad

@willyaranda I added some points to the pad at the bottom that are better formatted to be talking points, rather than requirements. They’re a small background on the Community IT team, and Mozilla’s current relationship to Discourse. What we’d like out of the meeting is to start building relationships, we definitely don’t want to start trying to push people to want to implement Mozilla’s needs. We did include a couple of those though if people are interested.

Hey guys,

thanks for all. I will do my best. Talk is at 19:40 (10:40 PST).

Thanks!

Live from Discourse meetup :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Awesome, how’d it go?

Hi!

It was great! We started with a talk with @codinghorror, about why discourse is needed on these days, and what are the goals of the tool.

We saw how Territorio Creativo (presented by @DavidGNavas) implemented Discourse and how it grew in a couple of months, and all the employees are discussing there, and how easy is to start having talks there.

Also, @versvs about his own blog comments are in Discourse and why he decided to mount the system.

Also, Beltrán from Bitnami said that they are using internally Discourse. They even have a package to install Discourse in your computer, with all dependencies, as well as implement a easy launch tool based on EC2 with a preconfigured Discourse instance.

I presented why Mozilla’s communication is a nightmare (at least for me: IRC, mail lists, wiki external, wiki internal, private emails, and then duplicate for communities), what are your expectations (based on the etherpad you sent me) and why we would like to implement Discourse at a large scale.

Finally, I expect (and some of the other guys too!) to have a new meeting in a few months to see other instances of Discourse used in Spain and even see some patches sent upstream, and extensions to make Discourse more useful for some businesses.

Cheers, Guillermo

1 Like

Thank you Guillermo and the Mozilla community for contributing to the event. Your presentation was awesome and it showed everybody a great insight about the possibilities of Discourse as the tool to reshape communcations within organizations.

I’m Gonzalo from Territorio creativo and I do confirm that we are commited to support a new event in a few months with improvements and new business cases about Discourse. We will be more than happy to build with you and the rest of #DiscourseMadrid participants a community to discuss and improve the way internal communications contribute to efficiency and productivity thanks to open source software. Your thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Best regards,

GM

1 Like