Device resurrection

I spent the last few days trying to restore my device to a working state after a series of careless flashes seriously compromised it. Since that may happen frequently and days can be wasted looking for a solution, I thought it may be nice to have a thread dedicated to solving this kind of issues. Since this would be focused on B2G flashing/bricking and B2G’s supported devices, it may be far more useful than the many others similar thread (which I searched far and wide without results). So, if you solve some difficult bricking issue, post a guide here (with references for further instructions if possible).

2 Likes

Device: Sony Xperia E3 (flamingo) (but should work for all Xperia devices as well)
Issue: Phone stuck at boot with black screen (or static splash screen). Flash mode, adb and fastboot were working, but still standard procedures for flashing with emma, adb, fastboot, recovery and the likes were failing (or having no resolutive effect).

To anyone facing the same issue with a Sony Xperia device, this is how I solved it:

• Download the official Sony firmware for your device by using XpeirFirm (download and instructions),
  • Convert the firmware in a tft package and then flash it on device (using flashmode) with Flashtool (tutorials: xperiablog for creating a tft package , xperiafirmware for flashing).
2 Likes

Would that work on Flatfish too? There’s another thread about this but didn’t get anywhere.

I’m afraid not: those tools are Xperia-specific. The same approach may work if you find analogous tools for your device. Flatfish may not be popular enough to have dedicated tools though…

Off-topic, but don’t you think this topic would fit better in building/porting category ? Does someone can move it ? Thanks :slight_smile:

I’m also curious about getting Flatfish working again, but looks like the latest build is over a year old https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox_OS/TCP/Build_Status I have no idea how feasible it would be to port a more recent version.

Vendor support has been dropped. The device is on an old JB branch (4.1 or 4.2, I cannot remember), there is way too much work involved. If we want tablet, we should focus on those we can support easily NOW (CM-based port, or Sony tablets with AOSP port).

¡Hola @benfrancis, @lissyx!

Maybe chime in over at https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/trash-or-second-life-for-flatfish/7807/4

¡Gracias!