Coaching training for Reps Mentors - Feedback

Hi everyone

We’ve recently sent a mail to the Reps Mentors mailing list to offer coaching training to our existing mentors. To make sure we capture all needs for such a training, we sent out a doodle for a quick call. Since we could only find a timeslot when a maximum of 3 people were available, I’m starting this thread asynchronously here.

I’d like to start with the following questions, however please bring up other topics as well!

• What are the top 2 topics you struggled with your mentees in the past and could benefit from learning more about?
  • What do you see as the most important part of your current relationship with your mentees?
  • Would you be interested in having a training around coaching? If not, could you please explain why?
  • How much time could you invest in a training per week?

Thanks,
Michael

3 Likes

Hi Michael,
as usual, thanks for taking the initative …

Top 2 topics I struggle with?

• Keep in touch with my mentees.
  • Understand what my mentees need from me.
    PS: Hi my dear mentees, +1 this post if you feel this pain. :slight_smile:

Most important part of my relationship with my mentees?

• A bond of appreciation
  • A glimpse into the lives of other Mozillians and their impact on our mission

Interested in training?

• Yes, of course.

How much time could I invest?

• Maybe this could be delivered in the course of an existing Mozilla event such as an All Hands meeting or MozFest?

Best regards,
Henrik

2 Likes

What are the top 2 topics you struggled with your mentees in the past and could benefit from learning more about?

• how to help them to contribute when they are alone in their local community
  • how to keep them engaged when they encounter struggles ( less time, less motivation, less country focus etc)

What do you see as the most important part of your current relationship with your mentees?

• trust - them to trust me that i have their interest/activity/ as first
  • knowledge - from my side to them - from mozilla to local communities

Would you be interested in having a training around coaching? If not, could you please explain why?

• I am.

How much time could you invest in a training per week?

• 4h
2 Likes

What are the top 2 topics you struggled with your mentees in the past and could benefit from learning more about?

• Keeping up with my mentees on a regular basis instead of chats when there was something my mentees needed from me
  • Engagement and motiviation

What do you see as the most important part of your current relationship with your mentees?

• Regular checkins to help my mentees grow (yes, I could have done more in the past few months for this…)

Would you be interested in having a training around coaching? If not, could you please explain why?

• Yes

• 2h
2 Likes

• Keeping up with my mentees besides the limited info from report. It was better when we have monthly report, at lease we’ll update once a month. Now many of my mentee just not report (it’s not benefit them much anyway.)
  • Engage with them with something more then “nice work, good job”. We need stickers, t-shirts, small gifts to surprise active contributors sometimes.

However I feels the problem is not simple that we can fix by learning something.

• For active event running mentees, discuss on plan and raise the budget request

• What we need is more time working on actually doing engagement things, but not training which cost more time from what we can contribute to be honest.

• if it’s counting by per week, then it’s 0. perhaps 1 hour per month. Please made it async for people to try at any free time.

The reporting system seems to be vague, we should have a better system on how we report our contribution to the reps program.

Following up, I couldn’t never get a proper follow up with my mentees, I felt I lost them after events.

Trust, I think if your mentee looks up to you, its a great relations

Would you be interested in having a training around coaching? Yes, I believe in continuous education would only enhance our abilities to be stronger in many aspects.