Can add-on get signed without XPI?

We have a overlay add-on which we install manually using the registry. I know this is an obsolete way to do it, but we have many customers using the product and we would like to know how we can sign this add-on without creating an XPI. The add-on simply launches an executable from our main product.

I don’t know for sure, but unpacking a signed XPI as-is into a directory may work. (A signed XPI has a directory named META-INF)

All you have to do is package your add-on as an XPI, get it signed, and then distribute the unpacked version of the signed XPI. Just make sure the directory contents aren’t changed after installation.

Thank you. That worked

Unpacking the XPI worked, but for some reason, I had to place the contents into a separate folder for the signed add-on to be recognized. The unsigned add-on, however, worked fine in our main application folder with other files. Is it possible to get the signed add-on to work in a folder where other files are present?

It’s not possible to have other files inside the extension folder because that will break the signature. It should be possible for an add-on to reference files anywhere, however.