Bug with text entry to Things app in Firefox Nightly on Android?

Hi all,

Using Firefox Nightly on Android to access the WebThings app and using GBoard to type in the Rule name field, there is some bug in the text entry box. For example, if I type “Heating on full” what appears is " Heatingoonffull". When a space is typed then it is backfilled with the next letter that I type when I type another letter. I.e. After “Heating” I type a space, then an o, then a n; when I type n then the space is replaced with an o.

Does anyone else experience this bug? If so I will put an issue in Github.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Sounds like a Firefox issue. We’re just using standard text inputs.

Good point, I checked on beta and the bug isn’t there. However, I can’t find any other text entry box which has this problem; I tested others on the gateway in nightly and they work fine.

I’m using “Firefox Preview” and I see similar effects in the textbox for discourse for example. It may also be device performance related, since it seems like a race of when the characters are added to the input.

What is “Firefox Preview”? The only reference I can find to that is from the very early days of Firefox.

It’s an experimental Gecko based browser for Android, I think listed in the play store as Fenix, either way, seeing it in a Gecko based browser on my Nexus 5X.

Ah yes, I know Fenix, but I didn’t realised they’d started to call it Firefox Preview. I couldn’t find it in the Play store, only on Taskcluster.